Tuesday, May 29, 2012

SUMMERTIME!!!

 aka BEACH time!!!
I'm amazing! Only my second full Saturday in North Carolina and I made it to the beach!
But first I would like to introduce a few of my new friends.
I know what you're thinking, "who's behind all that GORGEOUS hair?"
Jessica!

So story time: My first Sunday at church not quite two weeks ago, this beautiful, funny, energetic, super sweet, super smart woman was speaking. I have this thing where I think really amazing girls won't want to be my friend even though I really want them to be, and this was my thought when Erica leaned over and told me I should be her friend. I told her "of course" but fully believed it would never happen. I know dumb, self-defeating. That day I was super sick and hardly talked to anyone because I was in that snotty, sniffling, uber gross stage. My first week goes by, I go to EVERYTHING I hear about, I'm meeting a lot of great people but I don't happen to see that girl. Erica calls to check in and asks me if I've met Jessica (yes, Erica remembered her name, she's amazing like that.) I tell her the next time I see her I will make it happen. The following Sunday, Jessica happens to be sitting behind me at church. So because I promised Erica, I turn around and introduce myself and invite her to dinner that night. What the heck ya know.
She said YES!
I know its like a freaking dating play by play. But sometimes making girlfriends is just as hard as finding a boyfriend. Anyways, so we exchange info and she comes to dinner that night and we have a great time. And in only a week, we've become great friends and I'm excited to hang out with her a ton more when she gets back in August.
So back to this story, another friend I've met is Brett. He was one of the drivers to the beach, which is just over 2 hours away.
I love this picture because it looks like a scene from a movie where the driver carries on a full conversation with the passenger and never once looks where he's going and magically never crashes.
Carolina roads: thick green trees and big blue sky.
The Beach! It was CRAZY packed, Memorial weekend brought everyone out.
The below photo reminds me a bit of Anne of Green Gables, one of my all time favorite movies.
Really not the best pic of me but the only pic I have of my roommate Naomi. That girl is crazy, she was out there with no sunscreen with the goal of getting blacker than she already is. I sunscreened up and even reapplied after a couple hours.
Notice this expanse of sand between the grass and the people, it is a road for emergency vehicles, so people aren't supposed to set up/lounge there. But with all the crowds people kept putting their stuff down and lounging, and the emergency truck guy kept driving up and down and yelling at people to "stay behind the white poles." And for some reason, I found this hilarious and for the millionth time wondered why are people so dumb?
Chinese, written by Jessica, something about happiness I believe.
My toes are the cute orange ones.
Summer romance anyone?
Nick and Brett were just getting out of the surf and Brett spotted my camera...
and began his Baywatch walk :)
What a beautiful scene, but don't let it fool you. The tide was strong, the waves were rough, and it was a windy day. But the water was the perfect temperature and it wasn't too hot or cold when you got out.
In the below photo, another new friend, Diana on the far right. A super sweet girl and funnily enough works for the AICPA, the national accountants association, which keeps sending me stuff to join but I don't want to.
Whose that hottie that looks like shes about to trip over herself? 
Me, of course. 
I think I was dance running here. Doing a more theatrical Baywatch run. (And no I didn't not fall, in case you were worried about me.)
After the really great day at the beach, we all went into downtown Wilmington. We walked along the river and then found a great little restaurant to eat at. We sat outside and enjoyed fresh chips with delicious queso and pico de gallo. And I had pork tacos that blew my mind! I wish I had pictures but I forgot to take one.
I have not done that day justice here, but trust me it really was a perfect summer day.
~
And just like any other really great summer day, I had to pay my dues. Despite sunscreening TWICE, I managed to get this weird patterned sunburn on part of my shin and foot. It was much more red and splotchy looking in person and I got quite a few laughs over the next few days.
Summer is definitely here and I am going to soak up as much of it as possible!

3 comments:

  1. GIRL this trip looks like so much fun!! I wish I could've gone with you guys. I guess dating someone makes you M.I.A....and the moving and house sitting also makes me M.I.A. I'm sorry we haven't gotten to spend more time together! I love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I love that I've been formally introduced on your blog. Making new girlfriends is TOTALLY like dating...I just finished that book I was telling you about where the author goes on 52 girl-dates. Luckily, we found each other so we can go on our own girl dates, now. THE BEACH! I miss it. First thing we are doing when I'm back in town is camping on the beach. Find someone with a tent!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking at buying one the other day and I've found one, not too expensive that will fit my queen air mattress. And YES camping on the beach, that is on my definite to-do list, so perfect!

    ReplyDelete