Wednesday, May 30, 2012

BILTMORE

The LARGEST privately owned home in the United States.
Built by George Washington Vanderbilt II in 1895 in what is now Asheville, NC.
The home is 175,000 sq. feet and originally 125,000 acres of land. The family now owns a mere 8,000 acres.
The architecture is AMAZING!
As for the cost to build or cost to operate, supposedly "they don't know." But being privately owned, I'm positive its more a matter of they don't want to say. I will say admission with an advance purchase discount was $45.
Memorial Day at 7am we (Jessica, Spencer in the white striped shirt, and I) met at Brett's house (far back) and picked up Jake (guy in blue) and drove the three hours to Asheville. I was awake for about the first hour, then I crashed on Jessica's shoulder and had a lovely nap.
So ZERO photos were allowed inside but this is the balcony in back and we were allowed pictures there.
Just chilling on my gigantic balcony with my cherub.
Trying to show the IMMENSE size of this balcony, I'm in the center back, look close.
The gorgeous view!
The princess in her tower! I wish, this place was incredible.
Enjoying the view some more.
Not only was it completely picturesque, Brett was a total sport and took tons of pictures for me.
So the house included an indoor pool with underwater lighting (remember this is 1895), a bowling alley, an exercise room, a two-story library, a bakery kitchen, a rotisserie kitchen, a fruit kitchen, a vegetable kitchen, and hundreds of other rooms - 250 to be exact. To the right of the house are the horse stables that have been converted into stores and a restaurant. The courtyard scene reminded me of Europe. 
The candy store was sugar heaven!
Two cute kids in a candy store. And yes I bought truffles.
We had lunch at the Stable Cafe.
We actually ate inside a horse stall!
I had the BBQ with all the fixings and for the first time had collared greens. I really liked them, the South definitely agrees with me.
 Papa - paparazzi
Haha, just kidding after lunch we went to walk the grounds and gardens.
Seriously great picture taking spots, thanks Brett for playing photographer.
The fairy-tale castle, er..home.
Such beautiful plants and flowers.
This one was my favorite.
Jessica and I in the solarium.
"Once upon a time,...there was a very very large mansion, almost a castle... There were servants inside the mansion, and servants outside the mansion; boatmen to tend the boats, and six crews of gardeners: two for the solarium..." This line from Sabrina kept coming to me as we walked the grounds.
No mansion is complete without its own lake.
Read the sign and then scroll down...
THIS is the waterfall. I guess water is falling so technically it qualifies, but after all the grandeur it falls a little short. Haha!
Another beautiful view.
I love this picture of Brett trying to capture Jessica in the air. I don't know if he was successful, but I was.
A single cartwheel is great...
Double cartwheels are awesome!
So funny, Brett was telling me how to pose and what to do. Awkward? not at all, hilarious fun for me.
Headed to the shuttle.
Far end of the grounds, facing the mansion.
Car picture!
Hope your Memorial Day was as rich and awe-inspiring!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Such adventures you have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could comment on each picture. You chillin' with the cherub and modeling at the fountain, two of my favorites (nailed it). And I love the picture of us on the balcony; it looks like a photo op for a travecl brochure. Also, the double cartwheels (nailed it, again). I'm stealing these pictures, this day was SO fun!

    ReplyDelete